The Dahlonega Mint opened in 1838 to process locally mined
gold. Output at this mint was always low, yet it continued
to operate until 1861, when Confederate forces seized the
building at the outset of the Civil War. In 1878, the Dahlonega
Mint was destroyed by fire. Today, Price Memorial Hall of
North Georgia College sits on the original foundation of the
Dahlonega Mint. The mintmark for Dahlonega is the letter D
(the same as the Denver Mint, but the two mints never operated
simultaneously). The Dahlonega Mint produced only gold coins,
many of which were poorly made.
U.S. Rare Coin Investments
specializes in Dahlonega Gold Coins, all type of Rare Coins
and Gold Coins.